This eye-opening infographic from medicalbillingandcoding.org covers all the bases of why sitting is the new smoking:
- People are sitting more than ever… an average of 9.3 hours per day.
- Sitting 6+ hours per day increases risk of death up to 40%.
- Obese people sit for 2.5 hours more per day than thin people.
- Between 1980 and 2000 exercise rates stayed the same but sitting time increased 8%… and obesity doubled.
- When you sit, calorie burning decreases, enzymes that help break down fat drop 90%, good cholesterol drops 20%, and insulin effectiveness drops 24% and risk of diabetes rises.